Monday 4 March 2013

Flan that panned out

Not sure if I should post this here or on my new baking site, I think this recipe warrants a mention here.*
In need of a birthday flan that was dairy free, I found a great recipe on two web sites, crum boss's filling and an easy sponge cake recipe which both took well to subsitutions and gave a nice flan..
(corn free because it is difficult to find organic corn products and I shy away from the new industrial corn).
I almost had a meltdown when flan was requested and I was told the birthday guest couldn't tolerate butter.. but it was easy, bake a sponge cake bottom in a torte shell, cut and indent and fill the top with custard, top with fresh fruit and maybe glaze with gelatin or jello (I skipped the glaze because it was going to be eaten within two hours and the fruits I chose weren't going to brown with air, and I didn't have time!)

Cake - cook at 350 farenheit for 20-25 minutes or until spring back/spongy to the touch

1 cup white sugar


The filling - dairy and corn free with my subsitutions:

2 cups almond milk (bring to boil in a separate pot, and whisk together the following)
  3 large eggs  (2 whole, 1 yolk, beaten)
  1/2 cup sugar
  1/4 flour
3 tablespoons coconut butter
1 tablespoon vanilla and /or lemon flavouring or other

Bring the milk and a small portion of the sugar to the boiling point,
then add some to the egg/sugar/flour to temper (which is to bring the mix to the warmer temp)
then pour it all back into the milk pot
and heat and whisk to boiling point to thicken.
Add vanilla and/or lemon flavouring.
Let cool immediately after adding flavours.

*now, because I didn't know if the almond milk and flour would thicken (as whole milk and cornstarch thicken together), I practiced giving thanks for my food. The christian naturopath reminded me that all food is from God and to give thanks, and the store clerk who barely spoke English randomly told me a story of her todler holding his arms up to heaven to say amen and give thanks after every meal. So in my suspense I gave thanks for the flan, and the mixture began to thicken nicely .. and the flan was absolutely delicious.


When the filling is cool, cover the cake bottom.
Garnish with fruit such as grapes cut in half, kiwi and orange slices, and some bright strawberries and what you like. (Any bananas or apples you might want to add are fine but will need to be brushed with gelatin or lemon to keep from browning.)


ciao.. dinner is ready

No comments:

Post a Comment